[arch-dev-public] [IDEA] no packages older than one year in repos

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Feb 20 08:05:21 EST 2010

Hi,

This is an idea I have been thinking about for a while.  One
disadvantage of rolling release (at least with how we implement it), is
that some packages do not get rebuilt in a long time.  That can mean
policy changes never get fully implemented (e.g. removal of .FILELIST
from packages, moving man pages to /usr/share/man, LDFLAGS changes,
arch=any, etc).  Also, new toolchains bring new optimizations that are
good to have.

I would like to propose that we ensure no package in the repos goes
unbuilt for more than a year.  Looking at the current state of the
repos, this should not be too much of a hassle once we catch up.  There
are about 12 packages in [core] and 120 packages in [extra] that
currently have not been rebuild for more than a year.  So, that
indicates new packages to be rebuilt would occur at a rate of about two
a week.

If people like this idea, I can add the packages to the unimportant
rebuild list wiki page
(http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Unimportant_Rebuild_List)
and gradually start doing to rebuilds.  Once caught up, we can add a
check to the integrity check script to catch new builds.

Allan