[arch-dev-public] Cron

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Sun Jan 3 23:37:50 EST 2010

On 01/03/2010 08:52 PM, Paul Mattal wrote:
> Do others have specific experiences with bcron to relate? I know some
> folks like Dan and Thomas have chosen fcron, and maybe for good reason
> other than just features; if you have war stories, please share.

Several other relevant items have come to my attention, so I'm sharing:

1. fcron supports /etc/cron.d via a script which collects those entries
into its own format. The script is out-of-date enough to recommend using
dnotify to run it, but perhaps it would be efficient enough
otherwise-employed.

2. Jim Pryor has forked dcron 3.2 as yacron. This is a new option:

yacron
http://repo.or.cz/w/yacron.git
-----
advantages:
* little work (fork of existing dcron)
* simple, small, mature
* familiar/standard crontab format (even more like vixie)
* supports /etc/cron.d
* logs to syslog
disadvantages:
* not widely tested

I'd really feel more comfortable pushing this if it were more tested,
but that's a catch-22, I guess. Jim states he's willing to support and
update yacron in response to feedback and new upstream dcron releases,
should they come.

3. dcron apparently does support /etc/cron.d from 3.1 on, so that was
inaccurate in my original roundup. (thanks for pointing that out, Jim)

- P