[arch-dev-public] Cron

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 10:51:10 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Paul Mattal wrote:
>>
>> We've got several bugs relating to choosing a new default cron daemon,
>> and/or supporting other alternatives.
>
> <snip>
>
> I thought we decided on fcron with the small adjustment/script needed to
> support /etc/cron.d in the last round of discussion about this.  bcron was
> also popular (+1 from me...) but then we need an anacron replacement too
> (i.e. fcron).
>
> Aaron has repeatedly called for someone to deal with this and we have had a
> total of zero volunteers to do so...  So if you are going to do this then it
> would be great. (also have a look at mailman in svn trunk if you have time
> :P )

Allan is correct here. We looked it over and based on the responses
from all devs at the time, decided that fcron is the best in terms of
modernizing our cron.

If anyone would like to upgrade our cron to something better, let's go
with fcron. Please check the mail archives and bug reports for all the
discussion about alternative crons and why fcron was decided. I don't
recall all the reasons, but I know they are all there.