[arch-dev-public] [signoff] rfkill 0.3-2 (WAS: Re: [signoff] filesystem 2010.01-1-any && New package to core (or extra if you don't want core): rfkill)

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 9 12:09:19 EST 2010

Am 09.01.2010 17:38, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> Sorry to not reply before on this, but what do other distributions do
> with rfkill? It's weird to be member of the rfkill group while
> everything else is managed by things like polkit, consolekit and udev.
> As my laptops have a hardware rfkill-switch instead of a software
> version, I'm not really affected by this, so I don't have any experience
> with it.

Traditionally, we manage things like audio with groups. If there will be
some new cool approach using all these weird polkit-consolekit-hal(not
anymore)-things we might use it, but the "classical" way is now the
easiest to provide, especially for minimalistic users/systems. You don't
have to use it, the group is empty by default.
Other distributions probably don't do anything with rfkill, as the new
rfkill system is so new.

Even if you have a hardware switch, you can still soft-block devices.
For example, I can soft-block my bluetooth, while with hardware I can
only block wifi and bluetooth simultaneously.