[arch-dev-public] [signoff] dcron 4.3

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 16:16:01 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
>>> In testing 4.2, we've encountered some minor issues, and I have now put
>>> version 4.3 in testing.
>>>
>>> I'd like to get 2 signoffs per arch for this large update.
>>>
>>> Here's the changelog since 4.2:
>>>
>>> v4.3  11-Jan-2010
>>>
>>>  * Internal refactoring to make buffer overflow checks
>>>    clearer and portability issues more explicit.
>>>
>>>  * Made file argument to -L mandatory; optional args to
>>>    getopt needs GNU extensions.
>>>
>>>  * Makefile tweaks. Added CRONTAB_GROUP for `make install`.
>>>    Renamed TIMESTAMPS -> CRONSTAMPS.
>>>
>>> Additionally, I took Eric's advice to follow the norm not to put
>>> /etc/rc.d/crond in the backups array.
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>>>
>>> - P
>>>

>> Another possible issue I found out. I am not an expert on system
>> logging so I might be incorrect.
>>
>> As the dcron logging is now managed by syslog-ng, it shouldn't provide
>> a /etc/logrotate.d/crond.  Instead, we should release a new syslog-ng
>> package with /var/log/crond.log added to the list of logfiles being
>> taken care of in its /etc/logrotate.d/syslog-ng. We could add, at the
>> same time, the other logfiles created by syslog-ng but currently
>> ignored in the log rotation:
>>
>> /var/log/lpr.log
>> /var/log/uucp.log
>> /var/log/news.log
>> /var/log/ppp.log
>> /var/log/debug.log
>> /var/log/acpid.log
>>
>> Am I missing something? Any objections, comments?
>
> Actually, that sounds backwards to me. If cron isn't installed, we
> have no log file. It makes sense to me - if pkgA adds more log files
> that get big, it should also provide its own logrotate file.

I guess it depends how you see it.  The way I see it is that it's
syslog-ng who creates the file and appends to it so it should be
responsible for the rotation as well.  Plus, we use the missingok
option so if the file is missing, it just skips it whithout even
issuing an error message.  So no harm is done.