[arch-dev-public] LTS kernel future

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Mon Jan 18 15:21:45 EST 2010

Greg KH just posted on the LKML this news:

Here's the state of the -stable kernel trees, as of January 18, 2010.

2.6.27-stable
I'll probably keep maintaining it for at least 6-8 more months, but
after that, I can not guarantee it's viability.  Note, one other
developer has volunteered to pick up the tree after I am finished with
it, but I can not speak for him at this time.
2.6.32-stable

I'd like to announce that the 2.6.32-stable tree is also going to be
maintained as a "long-term" stable release, living for 2-3 years, like
the 2.6.27 kernel is.  This is because a number (i.e. more than 2) Linux
distributions are basing their "enterprise" releases on this kernel
version, and it will make their lives easier if I keep it alive.

I suggest to move our LTS kernel to .32 series not before our kernel26
has moved to .33 series. Better a bit later than to fast.

-Andy