[arch-dev-public] libpng todo list

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 16:55:08 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds fine. It looks like less patching is needed for libpng that was
>>> initially thought.
>>>
>>> A big cheer to all those who have helped out with the rebuild so far
>>> (Andrea, Eric, Ionut, Jan and Pierre). I have not been any help due to
>>> work commitments. A quick count shows there are still 99 packages left
>>> to be rebuilt for [extra] so there is plenty of scope for the rest of us
>>> to lend a hand.
>>>
>>> Allan
>>>

>> i'll send a warning now and in the morning i'll move them all. btw there is
>> a script that can be used to moved all packages or i have to use db-move?
>>
>> --
>> Ionut
>>

> Just a heads up. I had to fix the imlib, imlib2 and imagemagick
> packages that were initially put in the jpng repo.  There was
> undefined symbols in the libraries. I believe it only affects when you
> try to link the library.  So packages that were successfully built
> against the broken libs are probably OK. I haven't tested though.
>

> BTW, when trying to rebuild xfig and transfig, I'm getting this error:
>
> dev/libtransfig.a(readpng.o): In function `read_png':
> readpng.c:(.text+0x6a2): undefined reference to `png_set_dither'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [fig2dev] Error 1
>
> I didn't find any mention about png_set_dither in the libpng 1.4.0
> docs. Did another rebuilder encountered this problem? Does anyone know
> how to fix it? For the time being, I'll skip it.

I found out the problem. In libpng 1.4.0, PNG_READ_DITHER_SUPPORTED is
turned off by default.  It seems that it wasn't working quite right
and it had low usage:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=e56ccc8f0812151445ybd95eb0i78eb9aef434a6e28%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=png-mng-misc

Are there any objections in enabling it?

Eric