[arch-dev-public] makechrootpkg without aufs2

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Jan 24 07:15:05 EST 2010

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 22:05:34 +1000, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>
wrote:
> On 24/01/10 22:00, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:59:31 -0600, Aaron Griffin
>> <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> BUT (there's always a but), some systems are size restricted. For
>>> instance, slicehost slices have very limited disk space, so copying
>>> the chroot to do this has potential to cause issues. I don't like
>>> special case code for shitty systems, but perhaps we could keep both
>>> aufs and rsync code in there, enabled by a command line switch? (-U
>>> use a union (aufs) to keep chroot clean [DEPRECATED])
>>
>> The size overhead is about 500MB in its worst case. If you are that low
>> on
>> disk space you should not think about building packages.
>
> Well, the worst case is 2GB as I have four chroots.
> (testing/stable-i686/x86_64).
>
> Allan

Of course this overhead was per chroot. And what if one has a thousand
chroots? I think we are arguing about a noon-issue here. The point is that
aufs just does not work (and I have tried different snapshots and kernels).
I also doubt that we have a majority of devs with four chroots but less
than 2GB free disk space.