[arch-dev-public] Anyone using lilo?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 15 16:05:34 EDT 2010

Am 15.07.2010 21:46, schrieb Dale Blount:
> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 15:29 -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Roman has flagged my lilo packages.  Lilo developpement is now active
>> and lilo 23.0 was released.  Unfortunately, my only system using lilo
>> is no longer working.  Is there anyone else using lilo? Ideally, it
>> would be a dev who would take over the package or, at least, a user
>> willing to work with me in testing the new packgae before it hits the
>> testing repo.

No lilo here, the fact that it needs to hardcode the locations of kernel
and initrd is plain braindead, and defies the concept of package management.

> I'm forced to use it on a single HP server where grub just flat out
> refuses to work.  I could be convinced to help with testing (as long as
> it's just verifying that it's working and not several reboots).

You are not forced to do anything. Syslinux is way more flexible and
extensible than grub or lilo, actively developped (by someone who knows
what he is doing and is always willing to fix bugs like yours) and
feature-rich.

# pacman -S syslinux
# mkdir -p /boot/syslinux/
# extlinux --install /boot/syslinux/
# cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sda

Then mark the partition with /boot on it as active in the partition
table and create an appropriate /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg. The only
downside: only ext2/3/4 and btrfs are supported for /boot.

I don't have grub or lilo anywhere anymore.