[arch-dev-public] [arch-mirrors] syncing ftpfull

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 12:50:37 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 15:48, Olivier Thauvin
<nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
> Hi, distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr is syncing for a long time from
> rsync://rsync.archlinux.org/ftpfull/.
>
> However I am unable to find a list of tier2 mirrors with the same
> content of ftpfull share (at least ftp5.gwdg.de::pub/linux/archlinux/
> does not provide the "archive" subdirectory.
>
> Can you, please, either give me the url of any tier1 mirror with same
> content (any ptr to web page would do it) or give me the permission to
> sync directly from rsync.archlinux.org.
>
> Distrib-coffee can be used by others mirror w/o any problem.

Tier1 mirrors don't sync ftpfull.
The difference of ftpfull is that it includes other and archive directories.
I don't think there is a need for mirrors to sync it.

There is no point in syncing archive directory, it is permanently frozen.
Since you already have it - you can just exclude it from rsync process.

The other directory contains some sources and patches
that have no other official place to be taken from.
There's not much point in mirroring it if you don't mirror the sources.
Besides ftp.archlinux.org both other and sources directories
are available at mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/

@devs: do you agree with my points above?

@Olivier: I suggest you to pick one of tier1 mirrors as the upstream.

If absolutely you want to sync other and sources directories then you can use
rsync://mirrors.nl.eu.kernel.org/archlinux/
(as mentioned above: to keep archive - just exclude it from sync)

In any case please let me know which upstream you will use
so that our db can be updated.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)