[arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev 157-1, initscripts 2010.06-1, mkinitcpio 0.6.5-1

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 3 08:57:06 EDT 2010

You should upgrade and test these together (don't forget to regenerate
initramfs when you're upgraded). The new udev should work without the
new initscripts and mkinitcpio, but udev-based network device renaming
will fail in that case.

udev is an upstream update with mostly bugfixes, but some changes in
behaviour. Most importantly, NAME= rules are being ignored now, you can
not change the kernel's predefined device name anymore.

initscripts changes:
Dan McGee (1):
      Include _netdev option in NETFS list when calling fsck

Thomas Bächler (2):
      Only mount /proc, /sys and /dev if they haven't been mounted
already, use devtmpfs instead of tmpfs if supported by the kernel
      Add --action=add to udevadm trigger

mkinitcpio changes:
Thomas Bächler (5):
      Do not umount /proc and /sys before switch_root, but mount --move
them into the real root
      Mount tmpfs or (if supported) devtmpfs on /dev, move it into the
real root before switch_root
      udev hook: Add --action=add to udevadm trigger
      udev hook: Add ata_id, path_id, scsi_id and usb_id to allow
complete persistent storage rules
      Release 0.6.5

For the future, we now fully support devtmpfs. It is recommended (but
not required (yet)) by upstream. Using devtmpfs gets rid of a small
number of race conditions.

I tested devtmpfs on a custom kernel, and with the exception of one
short (and harmless) error message (mknod: /dev/rtc0: device exists), it
works fine. Getting rid of that error message requires further
consideration, as we can fix a bug with some custom kernel
configurations at the same time if we do it right. For now, I will
ignore this and please ask for testing and signoffs.