[arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev 157-1, initscripts 2010.06-1, mkinitcpio 0.6.5-1

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 3 10:14:33 EDT 2010

Am 03.06.2010 15:38, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> You should upgrade and test these together (don't forget to regenerate
>> initramfs when you're upgraded). The new udev should work without the
>> new initscripts and mkinitcpio, but udev-based network device renaming
>> will fail in that case.
>>
>> udev is an upstream update with mostly bugfixes, but some changes in
>> behaviour. Most importantly, NAME= rules are being ignored now, you can
>> not change the kernel's predefined device name anymore.
>
> Thanks for making this update, it is much appreciated. I will test it
> and let you know of any problems. First I wanted to remark:
>
> According to udev NEWS:

>  23 ========
>  24 Bugfixes.
>  25
>  26 Now the udev daemon itself, does on startup:
>  27   - copy the content of /lib/udev/devices to /dev
>
> So the following line in rc.sysinit should no longer be necessary:
>
> # Copy static device nodes to /dev
> /bin/cp -a /lib/udev/devices/* /dev/

I've been thinking about this. First of all, I don't want initscripts to
strongly depend on an up-to-date udev (although that would be a minor
problem).

Even if we ignore that, we need some devices in /dev/ before launching
udevd, at least /dev/null. If we would force devtmps instead of tmpfs,
that problem would be gone too. For now, I decided to leave the cp
command in there, we can always remove it later.