[arch-dev-public] When to remove provides/conflicts/replaces?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Jun 13 07:17:52 EDT 2010

On 13/06/10 20:50, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 13.06.2010 12:43, schrieb Allan McRae:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do we have any guidelines on when to remove the
>> provides/conflicts/replaces arrays from a PKGBUILD?  In other words,
>> what is the oldest system we support updating from?
>
> kernel26 still has replaces=('kernel24'), although I think updating from
> a system that still supported kernel24 will be impossible without major
> problems.
>
> I don't think there was ever a guideline on removing these, other than a
> vague "when it makes sense".

OK.  I thought about this when looking at the coreutils PKGBUILD:

provides=('mktemp')
conflicts=('mktemp')
replaces=('sh-utils' 'fileutils' 'textutils' 'mktemp')

The mktemp replacement was done in early 2008 and the
fileutils/textutils/mktemp would probably have been done in 2003.

Clearly the replacement of packages from 2003 is unnecessary, but I am
not sure about 2008 so I will leave those in at the moment.

Allan