[arch-dev-public] [Bug] db-scripts fail to remove split package

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Jun 19 08:27:47 EDT 2010

http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/?op=comp&compare[]=%2Fkernel26%2Ftrunk@80408&compare[]=%2Fkernel26%2Ftrunk%2F@81433

> However, db-testing fails to remove the kernel26-firmware package. I
> need to remove it manually.

At first: Please use the bug tracker.

db-update cannot know about this change. It only adds packages to the
repo. And I don't think it would be the right place to implement this as it
would need to scan all packages on every update for the same pkgbase and
see if it is still present in the PKGBUILD.

The ftpdir-cleanup cron only removes packages that are no longer in the
package db; but it does not remove packages from the db itself. It could be
implemented here, but it would increase the already quite long runtime of
that cron.

So if you remove split packages in the PKGBUILD you also have to remove it
from the db. Maybe someone could write a patch for check_packages.py to
detect such orphaned packages.

My suggestion: Packages should be removed only manually from the DB. But
the check-script could be enhanced to detect such packages.