[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.34-2

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sun Jun 20 12:44:06 EDT 2010

Am Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:27:18 +0200
schrieb Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>:

> Am Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:10:44 +0200
> schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:
>
> > Am 19.06.2010 14:03, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> > > This release will be moved to core after signoff, together with
> > > linux-firmware, initscripts, udev and mkinitcpio. Changes compared
> > > to -1:
> > >
> > > Remove kernel26-firmware package, it is replaced by linux-firmware
> > > added new tcp options FS#19604 (tpowa)
> > > Enable devtmpfs
> > > Add makedepends to build kernel26-{manpages,docs} properly
> > > Fix makepkg -R
> > >
> > > Please sign off.
> > >

> > Okay, one of the Xorg guys (Jan, Andy?) should draft a new
> > announcement about 1) configuration changes with the new Xorg
> > (xorg.conf.d, hal removed), 2) dropping nvidia-{173xx,96xx} until
> > nvidia releases updated versions.
> >
> > It seems we want to move Xorg and the kernel at the same time, so
> > that announce should be out before the move.
> >

> We already had
>
> http://www.archlinux.org/news/499/ +
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-April/016387.html
>
> Changes to input device configuration are collected in our wiki:
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29
>
> Just point to this section.
>
> Ati and Nouveau changes should work without any interaction. No idea
> about the closed drivers. I don't follow them. If you think we need an
> announcement just point to the wiki and maybe the old news and add a
> note about NVidia changes.
>
> -Andy

News draft:

Xorg 1.8 moves to extra:

This release works with udev for input hotplugging and
supports /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as replacement for the hal .fdi
files. After upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices
in hal is ignored. Documentation about this change can be found on:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29

Nvidia-173xx and -96xx drivers currently don't support the new Xorg
release. We recommend to use the xf86-video-nouveau driver package for
now.