[arch-dev-public] [signoff] pacman 3.4.0-2

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 09:03:31 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 21.06.2010 14:57, schrieb Dan McGee:
>> OK, new -2 release in testing with the following changes, I'd like
>> signoffs for real this time around:
>> * We now have manpages
>> * Fix optdepends
>> * Patch the above mentioned strip libraries issue with patch from git
>> so it is not disastrous
>>
>> There is also a new pacman-mirrorlist package in testing with the
>> following change:
>> * Move to multi-arch and use $arch variable in the list
>>
>> Please ensure it works with the new pacman; it will not be moving before it.
>>
>> -Dan
>>

> Big Bad Signoff for it all.
>
> One thing I noticed though: If the Architecture option is missing in
> pacman.conf, pacman will not recognize the $arch substitution.
>
> Wouldn't it be more intuitive to have 'Architecture = auto' as the
> default and use 'Architecture = none' to disable the feature?

The manpage explains our reasoning why pretty clearly.

       Architecture = auto | i686 | x86_64 | ...
           If set, pacman will only allow installation of packages of
the given architecture (e.g.  i686, x86_64, etc). The special value
auto will use the system
           architecture, provided by in “uname -m”. If unset, no
architecture checks are made.  NOTE: packages with the special
architecture any can always be
           installed, as they are meant to be architecture independent.

-Dan