[arch-dev-public] [pacman-dev] Pacman Architecture option

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 22 15:11:42 EDT 2010

>>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/008965.html
>>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/008968.html
>>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/008970.html
>>>
>>> Patches (with no feedback, mind you):
>>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-August/009193.html
>>
>> I do read pacman-dev on occasion, but not regularly, and I don't follow
>> each patch thread or new feature. I heard that the Architecture option
>> was coming, but was never too concerned with the details (just random
>> happiness about it) - I didn't even know it would be an option, but
>> thought it was just default behaviour.
>> I even discussed the issue with Xavier I think, maybe it was Allan, it's
>> too long ago.
>>
>> If you read my emails, you will see that I did not complain a single
>> time, but rather wanted to know what the reasoning behind this decision
>> was (which I'd still like to know btw).
>
> OK, I lied about no more replies becuase I did forget to put this in
> my original email- the primary driving reason from my point of view is
> "If you do nothing, nothing changes". e.g. for anyone not adding this
> to their pacman.conf, they won't have to worry about this feature
> getting in the way.
>
> With that said, I do realize this would not inhibet most people to be
> turned on by default, but I think we saw this as a precautionary
> measure rather than something we should force on people. I've CC-ed to
> pacman-dev; if I end up being in the minority on this then I'll take a
> patch to make the default be "auto" (and we will then need to add an
> explicit "none" option and document it).

That will not be happening in the 3.4.x timeframe anyway and there will
be plenty of time before 3.5 to hear how this feature is used by people.

Allan