[arch-dev-public] samba 3.5.0 bump

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 08:14:19 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> HI guys,
> next time please ask before bumping a quite complicated package directly to
> next major release.
>
> Also keep in mind to put it to testing first and not directly to extra.
> tdb can be used externally now, i'm rebuilding it now.

To all the new guys on the list- this is especially sad considering
this package was just brought up on this development list and tpowa
was quite clearly active in the discussion. I know you guys think it
is cool to have the latest and greatest in the repos, but us old guys
do things the way we do for a reason. *You need to ask the maintainer
before touching a package*, plain and simple. Don't version bump
without doing this first (especially a major version bump!) and at
least giving ample time for a response. Just because a package isn't
in [core] doesn't mean it is easy to stay on top of.

Thank you Tobias for bringing this up; I've noticed it with more than
just this package.

-Dan