[arch-dev-public] Automating creation of i686 chroots on x86_64 systems with mkarchroot.

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Sun Mar 7 20:33:58 CET 2010

On 02/25/2010 11:49 AM, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
> <ghost1227 at archlinux.us>  wrote:
>> I've always thought the method of modifying your local mirrorlist,
>> running mkarchroot, then reverting the changes to be more tedious than
>> necessary for creation of i686 chroots on x86_64. My recent work with
>> setting up a dedicated build server gave me plenty of time and an
>> excuse to actually do something about it. As such, I've put together a
>> little patch that allows specification of creation of an i686 chroot
>> at runtime. When set, this flag will automatically modify your local
>> mirrorlist, create the requested i686 chroot, then revert the changes
>> to the mirrorlist file. I don't know if others would find this useful
>> or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it.
>
> Actually, I *thought* I added a flag to point to an alternate pacman
> config when building the chroot, to simplify this. So it'd be as
> simple as:
>
> sed s/x86_64/i686/<  /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist>  /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-i686
> sed s/mirrorlist/mirrorlist-i686/<  /etc/pacman.conf>  /etc/pacman-i686.conf
>
> mkarchroot -C /etc/pacman-i686.conf ...yada yada...

Having some uniform turnkey script to build an i686 chroot on an x86_64
box as part of devtools would be useful.

I just noticed today that in setting up my chroots, I had replaced my
x86_64 in makepkg.conf with i686, but not replaced the x86-64 which
occur in CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. If others have done similar things, it
might result in buggy or suboptimal packages.

It would at least be nice of someone who knows a lot about building in
chroots describes in detail what must be done for i686 chroots in x86_64
in the wiki page, just in case there are important details I or others
have missed.

- P