[arch-dev-public] Install files in [core]

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 8 20:25:52 CET 2010

On 08/03/10 22:54, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>  wrote:
>> On 07/03/10 21:01, Allan McRae wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> With adding install files to deal with info pages to packages in [core],
>>> there are a number of packages with install files that will cause errors
>>> if bash is not installed before them (pacman uses /bin/sh from the
>>> system it is installing to).
>>>
>>> How do we handle this? Add "sh" to dependencies? Not have post_install
>>> for these packages (it is only info page installs...)? I did the later
>>> for gcc-libs where it makes sense but other cases are not so clear cut.
>>
>> So any suggestions on how to fix?
>
> dash as /bin/sh? It's only dep (right now) is glibc since we don't
> have an alternate C library to link against, but it is way more
> lightweight than bash (no readline dep, etc.) and will probably
> eliminate some of the headaches we have with regards to deps.

That would still require we add "sh" as a dep.  We can currently do that
with bash as its deps have deliberately have got not no post_install to
avoid such errors.

I think our choices are:
1) add "sh" as a dep
2) remove post_install where possible

I guess in most cases #2 is not possible so the affected packages should
have #1 done.

Allan