[arch-dev-public] Moving to pkg.tar.xz officially?

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue Mar 9 08:16:42 CET 2010

Hi all,

some of us already commit xz compressed packages, others don't. We didn't 
really decide on this yet.

So, is there a reason not to recommond every TU and Dev to change PKGEXT to 

We might also want to write a little announcement to inform users about this 
change. While most of them wont be affected, some would have to adjust their 
custom scripts. And for those who use netinstall on a 2009.02 or older iso 
would have to run pacman -Syu once to get a version of libarchive which is 
able to deal with xz.

If wanted I also could add a check to devtools which issues a warning if xz is 
not used.




Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre

More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list