[arch-dev-public] Moving to pkg.tar.xz officially?

Dale Blount dale at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 9 15:23:15 CET 2010

> >> We might also want to write a little announcement to inform users about this
> >> change. While most of them wont be affected, some would have to adjust their
> >> custom scripts. And for those who use netinstall on a 2009.02 or older iso
> >> would have to run pacman -Syu once to get a version of libarchive which is
> >> able to deal with xz.
> >

> > If we do this, we should leave pacman and libarchive in a historic
> > format for quite a while (or forever).  Those packages are already small
> > enough it doesn't really matter.
>
> I was going to respond to this thread and say we should keep a small
> subset of packages in tar.gz format for things like this. Most of them
> happen to be mine, but:
> * pacman
> * libarchive
> * libfetch
> * zlib ?
> * glibc ?
> * bash ?

+1.  At some point pacman is going to need a glibc update to work and
not being able to install glibc because it's a xz is an issue.  We
should probably add a versioned glibc to pacman's depends so someone
doesn't end up upgrading pacman and not being able to run it because
glibc didn't get updated as well.

Dale