[arch-dev-public] [signoff] openssh 5.4p1-2

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 17:23:32 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 10. März 2010 17:08:45 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>> Am Mittwoch, 10. März 2010 16:36:15 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>> > So, it's me again. This time we should have an openssh package which
>> > fixes both of these bugs:
>> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18611
>> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17138
>> >
>> > Please sign-off,
>> >
>> > Pierre
>>
>> This is really not my day and I already regret touching this package. :-)
>> The problem with using readlink /proc/$pid/exe is that during an update of
>> a running sshd that link will point nowhere. As a result the restart will
>> fail.
>>
>> What do you think about using /proc/$pid/cmdline instead?
>
> Just found out that this wont work with ssh_args set in /ec/conf.d/sshd. My
> last resort would be stripping that possible "(deleted)" fro mthe readlink
> output.

So what's the actual issue with pidof? "pidof -o %PPID" is supposed to
return JUST the parent process's pid, not the children. Is it
returning the wrong pid?

Hrm, checking this on an arbitrary machine at work:

$ ps ax | grep sshd
 5436 ?        Ss     0:16 /usr/sbin/sshd
32128 ?        Ss     0:00 sshd: agriffin [priv]
32130 ?        S      0:00 sshd: agriffin at pts/3
32435 pts/3    R+     0:00 grep sshd

$ pidof -o %PPID /usr/bin/sshd
32130 32128

So... why aren't we getting the actual parent pid here?