[arch-dev-public] dbscripts pkg pools

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon May 3 12:59:14 CEST 2010

On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:10:40 +0200, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>
wrote:
> What about a directory structure like this? We could also remove the os
> subdir and backwards compatibility could be achieved by some symlinks.
>
> ftp
> └── repo
>     ├── arch
>     │   ├── core
>     │   ├── extra
>     │   ├── packages
>     │   └── testing
>     └── community
>         ├── community
>         ├── community-testing
>         └── packages
>
> The actual names might not be final, but with this structure we separate
> our repos from everything else on the ftp and we separate the "official"
> and community repos from each other.

Here is a proposal which is more backwards-compatible and doesn't need a
complete resync; just a few modificatinos to the db-scripts. (e.g. we need
to define which repos the cleanup-script should check)

 ftp
 ├── core
 ├── extra
 ├── testing
 ├── community
 ├── community-testing
 └── packages
     ├── arch
     │   ├── i686
     │   ├── x86_64
     │   └── any
     └── community
         ├── i686
         ├── x86_64
         └── any

The top dir repo dirs are kept. They include symlinks to the packages in
the packages dir. Packages from community are kept separate. We now just
need to modify the db-scripts and define the repository names it should
work on. (especialy the cleanup-script should only search in core,extra and
testing but not community for example.

The community, community-testing and packages/community dirs would still
be rsynced from sigurd.

What do you think about this layout? It wont need any chagne on the
clients (mirrorlists still work) and no resyncs are needed.

Greetings,

Pierre