[arch-dev-public] [toolchain] gcc 4.5 breakage

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue May 4 18:23:21 EDT 2010

I noticed problem with gcc 4.5 and the GAP system
(http://www.gap-system.org) first: It throws a few aliasing warnings,
and the program breaks. When I used -fno-strict-aliasing, the warnings
disappeared, but the breakage remained, unless I used -O0. Fixing the
aliasing problems also fixed the breakage.

Now I noticed the exact same issue with busybox:
- Building with -Os throws lots of aliasing warnings, busybox's sed breaks
- Building with -Os -fno-strict-aliasing builds without warnings, but it
still breaks.
- Building with -O0 works, but it isn't optimal.

This will affect LOTS of other programs and these errors will not show
up as errors or warnings during the build procedure.