[arch-dev-public] Add -fstack-protector{-all} to default CFLAGS?

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed May 12 09:20:33 EDT 2010

Am Wed, 12 May 2010 11:14:48 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> > So, do I really have to wait until that is fixed before we can
> > discuss _future_ changes?
>
> I think I was already in favor of using the stack protector a year
> ago. Actually (I already mentioned this last time this discussion
> came up) we have built our kernels with the stack protector enabled
> for a long time
> - to be precise, it was enabled on June 11th when we switched to
> 2.6.30.

There's a kernel configuration option for this.

I'm not sure if we should change our compiler flags just prevent
applications to fail. Is this the task of a compiler to be a 2nd stage
protector for poorly written apps?

I can imagine such a safety option enabled in a security critical
distribution like firewalls.

But for the rest wouldn't adding such a feature take the pressure from
the coders to produce proper code? I think the overhead is something
I wouldn't like to see in ArchLinux. At least as long as this can't be
switched off at runtime by the user.

-Andy