[arch-dev-public] Doing a rebuild of [core]?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Nov 18 05:16:34 CET 2010

Hi,

I was thinking of doing a fairly large rebuild of packages in [core] for
the following reasons:

  - The toolchain is quite good at the moment and many packages have not
been built in a long time so could use a refresher build to take
advantage of what the newer toolchain offers (~15 packages are > 1 year
old).  I expect a toolchain update to happen in the next few weeks so
this is a good time.

  - Get as many packages to .xz format as possible.  This will give us
more room to play on the install CD (important with dual arch ISO where
I believe space is tight)

  - Get all packages into the package pool.  It is nicer to have
packages in one place rather than across multiple folders.  Once all
packages are in the pool directories, the clean-up script can be a lot
easier (of course that is a long term implication).  It would also get
rid of the core/os/any folder.

  - Give PKGBUILDs a refresher...  package() functions, no "|| return
1", etc.  Make sure packages build with an updated toolchain.

  - Deal with the few [core] package issues on the Unimportant Rebuild
List
(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Unimportant_Rebuild_List).

Given the goals mentioned there, it is obvious that regularly updated
packages do not need to be part of the rebuild.  Looking at the
packages, there would be about 100 rebuilds all up.  So it would result
in a bunch of signoff emails...   But I would start with the oldest
packages and work through the list fairly slowly so this will hopefully
not be an issue.

Any objections/suggestions?

Allan