[arch-dev-public] Doing a rebuild of [core]?

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Thu Nov 18 07:20:54 CET 2010

Am 18.11.2010 06:52, schrieb Andreas Radke:
> Am Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:16:34 +1000
> schrieb "Allan McRae"<allan at archlinux.org>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was thinking of doing a fairly large rebuild of packages in [core]
>> for the following reasons:
>>
>>    - The toolchain is quite good at the moment and many packages have
>> not been built in a long time so could use a refresher build to take
>> advantage of what the newer toolchain offers (~15 packages are>  1
>> year old).  I expect a toolchain update to happen in the next few
>> weeks so this is a good time.
> What update do you expect? Usually a rebuild is useful to catch
> up latest major gcc improvements. Gcc4.6 is still in an early
> stage. Maybe we should delay it until the gcc4.6 release.
>
> The toolchain improvements over the last 2 years were of minor
> advantages. So I don't expect major performance improvements.
>
> Getting the packages into xz compression format and pkg pool would be
> nice though.
>
> One concern for a rebuild right now: most packagers allowed for
> pushing packages into core haven't been much online lately. Not sure
> if they can spend that much time. Sadly "makeworld" has died. But I
> remember Daniel made such a rebuild script locally (was at gcc4.3
> release?).

That's right, I made such a rebuild script. But I'm not really sure if I
have it any longer. Have to check it at home. It was a hackish bash
script which increased the pkgrel variable and rebuild the package,
that's all.

I'm not that close to the toolchain changes and its improvements, so if
you think it's time for that go ahead. :)

  -Daniel