[arch-dev-public] ChangeLogs

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 19:04:14 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> Maybe only I missed it: I just found that all my packages that used to
> pickup the "ChangeLog" file don't show anything in pacman -Qc!
>
> http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=2cabe336eb33e443819a1d9d46b0c5bcceaa7e87
>
> It seems I missed the note in the NEWS file of pacmans 3.4.0 release.
> Just a heads up.

Yeah, we didn't do a great job of publishing this behavior change.
Sorry about that.

> Is it worth the work to update the changelog at all? Any plans on
> integrating a Changelog to the packages website? Do we need some
> convention how to order and format the file?

I try to update mine (although they aren't being included, whoops) on
big changes- bug fixes and changing configure flags count, but a minor
version bump without Arch-specific changes just adds noise. I think
most people are using something similar to GNU changelog format.

It would unfortunately be a bit more work to add these to the website,
as they are not in the db.tar.gz file, and all of the data for the
site comes out of those.