[arch-dev-public] mailx package

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 19 14:44:13 CET 2010

Hi,

I was looking at the mailx package and was wondering what we should do
with it.

We grab the package source for "mailx-8.1.1-fixed" on
ftp.archlinux.org...  but I have no idea what is "fixed" about it and we
still patch the Makefile and for gcc-4.  It also does not use our
CFLAGS/LDFLAGS when building.

There are options here:

1) grab "updated" cvs snapshot from OpenBSD, which is apparently where
Debian gets it from.  I'm not sure where exactly the cvs repo is though...

2) use heirloom-mailx (a.k.a. nail).  At least I can find a tarball from
that, even if it has not seen a release in a couple of years.  This was
requested in the bug tracker but was closed dues to no-one being
motivated to change it after several years.

3) use GNU mailutils.  It looks actively developed (had a release in
September), and is apparently fully compatible.  However, it also has
more features and so is not as lightweight... probably going from 100KB
to 1MB.

Opinions?

Allan