[arch-dev-public] [signoff] filesystem 2010.11-1
pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Nov 20 09:40:57 CET 2010
I recently adopted the orphaned package filesystem and made a little
review/rewrite. Some of the changes may be questionable so don't
hesitate to give suggestions.
* add correct deps; the install scripts needs bash and coreutils
* sync gshadow to group (fixes FS#19869
* Rewrite PKGBUILD and the install script to make it more readable
* Add /usr/local to PATH
* There were a lot of discussion about this. However there are not
very strong pros and cons.
* I decided to add it because:
* If we include the /usr/local folders its natural to also include
them in PATH
* means if we really don't want /usr/local in PATH this subtree
should be removed from the filesystem package completely.
* There is no real technical downside in adding them; not adding it
however has a little disadvantage for those who like to use /usr/local
* Added /usr/local/etc/ as required by FHS
* Higher level dirs override lower ones in PATH now
* allow login from serial console; see FS#18578
* Add ::1 to hosts file (needed if ipv6 is used)
* Don't try to guess the shell we are running
* Do it like Debian or Ubuntu and only source the global bashrc when
* Other shells like zsh have their own global config anyway.
* In fact sourcing the global shell config was only needed/used by
* see https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/20288
Especially have a look at the last one. I have tested this with bash,
dash, zsh and ksh but maybe I miss something. We should also remove the
/etc/profile.bash file from the bash package as it is not needed. Should
I prepare some announcement about this change if we are fine with it?
Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
More information about the arch-dev-public