[arch-dev-public] migrate libusb1 to libusb and add libusb-compat to [core]

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Sun Nov 28 17:16:38 CET 2010

Am Sonntag 28 November 2010 schrieb Ionuț Bîru:
> On 11/28/2010 05:36 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:

> >> Ok talked to allan on irc, I move in the things to [staging],
> >> greetings
> >> tpowa
> >
> > Todolist created here:
> > http://www.archlinux.org/todo/50/
>
> still don't get it what we have to do. we have a libusb1 in our repo
> which now libusb is using it . what are we doing with it?
- libusb1 is the successor of libusb 0.1.x
- Jan moved this lib into extra in order to allow to build packages wich need
libusb 1.x
- Now some programs still need libusb 0.1.x functions. The upstream developers
created a wrapper for this called libusb-compat

The plan is to replace the old unmaintained libusb 0.1.x with the new
maintained one.

The libusb1 package will die and will be replaced by the libusb package which
moves to 1.x series.

A new package libusb-compat will be created which support old programs that
are not yet libusb 1.x ready.
All packages which still need the old functions should be rebuilt against
libusb-compat.

Hope this clears some things.
greetings
tpowa