[arch-dev-public] Mirror country names (was: Mirror status page)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:35:23 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 18:56, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Roman Kyrylych
>> <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I guess the most popular will be
>>> UPDATE mirrors_mirror SET country = 'United Kindgom' WHERE country =
>>> 'Great Britain';
>>> but my question is:
>>> since I don't see a dropdown list for selecting a country
>>> but have to enter it manually each time I add a new mirror
>>> will I have to rewrite the Country fileld for existing mirrors
>>> after each country name change?
>>
>> Are you missing what this does? The SQL is to rewrite all existing
>> mirrors using those country names, it has nothing to do with new ones.
>
> That's exactly what my intention was.
> I am missing your point.
> Existing ones would just have to be entered correctly.
> Or do you want to change the field in the admin GUI
> from text input to selectbox?

No, *new* ones would have to be entered correctly after we fix the
*existing* ones. Not sure why this is suddenly causing so much
friction, as I think only two of us ever enter this info and both have
written emails in this thread. It should be fairly easy to stick to
the right country names...

We can make it a select box if you want, but that means having that
list hardcoded somewhere in the code which seems a bit overkill given
how few people touch this stuff anyway.

-Dan