[arch-dev-public] [aur-general] Warning: MESA 7.9 going to testing

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:06:58 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:01:24 +0200
> Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Daniel Isenmann
>> <daniel.isenmann at gmx.de> wrote:

>> > I discoverd today that fusion-icon won't run with the new update,
>> > because of the missing glxinfo. This program is now located under
>> > "mesa-demos". fusion-icon complains about the missing glxinfo and
>> > won't start, so install "mesa-demos" manually at the moment.
>> >
>> > @fusion-icon maintainer:
>> > Should be added as a depend to the package or at least a note
>> > should be posted to that.
>> >
>> >  -Daniel
>> >

>> please file a bug report next time so it does not get lost.
>>
>> On a related note, it can't be fixed before the python2 move as
>> otherwise this fix will move to community before mesa moves to extra
>> with the python2 move.
>>
>> Ronald
>
> Next time I will file a bug report. That it must wait for the python2
> move that's no problem.
> The main reason for posting this mail was that it was not mentioned
> that glxinfo was separated into an extra package. The notice for you
> was just a side note.

Honestly, can this decision to split the package be explained a bit
more? I feel like we've gone a little overboard on doing some of these
splits. Saving 405K from a package (installed, while only 80K on the
download!) seems silly for the number of "where did my glx* tools go"
and "I installed mesa but don't have glx*" questions that are going to
arise now, especially from long-time Arch users.

-Dan