[arch-dev-public] Python move news announcement draft

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 08:38:51 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will move python stuff from [testing] soon so we will need a news item...
>  Here is a draft:
>
> --begin draft--
>
> Major python update
>
> A major python update is hitting the repos on a mirror near you.   This
> involves update the python package from the 2.6 series to the 2.7 series.
>  However, with python-2.7 being scheduled to be the last major release in
> the python-2.x series, python 2.7 is now packaged as "python2", while the
> "python" package will contain the python 3.x series.  This means that
> /usr/bin/python will point at python 3.x and any programs requiring python2
> should point at /usr/bin/python2 instead.  All packages in the repos have
> been updated, but any issues found can be reported to the bug tracker (not
> the forum or the mailing lists). Any AUR packages using python will likely
> need updated to point at the correct python binary.
>
> --end draft--
>
> Comments?

It might drag on a bit. I'd make it so people don't ignore it; maybe
title it so it seems a bit more sensational and people actually read
it: "Python 3 is now the default Python". And then make the opening
line the bit about packaging and binaries moving rather than all the
2.6 to 2.7 stuff which people will just go "oh, ok, not a big deal" to
and miss the python3 stuff completely.

-Dan