[arch-dev-public] Python move news announcement draft

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 18 18:06:28 EDT 2010

On 19/10/10 06:52, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 19/10/10 01:56, Ray Rashif wrote:
>> Python is now Python 3
>>
>> A major Python update has just been moved from the testing
>> repositories and will be available on a mirror near you. The default
>> "python" package is now for the 3.x series while the 2.x series has
>> been moved to a "python2" package, with python-2.7 having been
>> scheduled to be the last major release in the python-2.x series.
>>
>> Since /usr/bin/python will now point to the 3.x binary, any program
>> requiring 2.x needs to point to /usr/bin/python2 instead. All our
>> packages have been updated accordingly, but any remaining issues found
>> can be reported to the bug tracker (not the forums or mailing lists).
>>
>> AUR and third-party packages/projects using Python will likely need
>> updating to reflect this move, as many programs are still incompatible
>> with Python 3.
>

> Thanks. Posted and the move is happening now!

And the move is done.  I think everything that needed moving from
[testing] (and nothing that did not...) has now been moved.  The only
package I am unsure of is libreoffice, but I leave that to Andy to decide.

[community-testing] is empty so that is a good sign all packages have
been moved!

A big thanks to everyone who helped out on this massive rebuild.

Allan