[arch-dev-public] cleaning up xorg packages, adding missing packages

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Oct 24 12:51:41 EDT 2010

Following my message about splitting the xorg-*-utils/apps packages in
single packages for every app, I took a look at the official Xorg
release set. With the release of Xorg 7.4 and 7.5, a lot of apps and
drivers were removed. Some of these apps are still required but are no
longer required, so I'll have a look at what's really deprecated and
what is just removed without reason (xinit is one of them, I can't tell
all our users to use a display manager instead of startx).

Besides the applications, some changes have been made to the driver
sets. The difflist between xorg and our repositories are as follows:

-elographics
-fpit
-hyperpen
-mutouch
-penmount
(-wacom)
+ast
+newport
(-nouveau)
-radeonhd
+tga
(-unichrome)
+wsfb
+xgi
+xgixp

I would suggest to remove the drivers with minus signs. They're no
longer maintained and we already applied patches to make them build with
current xorg-server. Upstream git contains patches that tell you to not
use the driver anymore and abort compilation, so if anything breaks,
we're on our own.
The modules with a + should be added when they are valid for i686 or
x86_64. This means that ast, xgi and xgixp get added to the repository.
The modules with () are unofficial modules. All of those have active
development, so I suggest keeping them. They are not allowed in the xorg
or xorg-{input,video}-drivers groups however.