[arch-dev-public] The "Great Python Rebuild of 2010" begins

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 10:46:56 EDT 2010

Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> TUs will not be able to start uploading rebuilds yet as they do not have a
> staging equivalent, but we will sort something out for them once we get all
> the db-scripts/devtools changes tested for the main one first. The package
> pool is going to save us a heap of issues when this gets moved so it is
> worth the wait.

The current python package already contains a /usr/bin/python2 link.
This means that packages which only need a patch to point to python2
instead of python can be rebuilt directly without the need for a
[staging] package. For example, glib2 (where python is only used for a
script), or youtube-dl (which *is* a script). Similarly, a number of
packages which are already in [staging] could probably be moved to
[extra] or [testing] without problems: AFAIK, problems would only
occur when linking libpython2.7.so or putting files in
/usr/lib/python2.7.

Should we warn TUs and people on AUR about this fact? It could make
the transition smoother.

I have generated the attached quick-and-dirty list of safe packages
from the wiki. There could be false positives, of course.

--
Rémy