[arch-dev-public] cairo xcb backend

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Sep 8 10:20:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 16:10 +0200, Ronald van Haren wrote:
> Fair enough, if enabling the xcb backend slows things down, especially
> if it is unmaintained so not likely to improve soon, we should remove
> it.
> It's a shame that awesome has to go but I'm sure the people using
> awesome know how to handle building from AUR/ABS and create a
> xcb-enabled cairo for it.

If it was just an optional backend, I would leave it enabled. But the
fact is that the XCB backend replaces the Xlib version, resulting in
visual bugs and crashes. I'm not concerned about performance here.
We have a bugreport for Seamonkey that crashes with weird BadMatch
errors when compiled against system cairo. Users blame me for fucking up
the seamonkey package by compiling against system cairo, but in fact,
the problem is most likely caused by using the XCB backend instead of
the regular Xlib backend. Note that any bugreport about Seamonkey could
also be valid for Firefox and Thunderbird.