[arch-dev-public] pkgstats: second try

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Sep 10 11:52:57 EDT 2010

Hi all,

two years ago (http://www.archlinux.org/news/419/) I created a stupid
script to get some stats about package usage from our users.

I did some improvements. The client now submits the mirror used by
pacman. On the server side statistics about the country (looked up by
geoip) are stored and more important all data are stored with a
timestamp. This way we should be able to see usage trends etc.. It would
also be possible to have users submit data regularly without messing up
all stats.

For now please have a look at the client itself. Check the output of
"-s" and make sure you are using 2.0-2; especially if you use a password
in your mirrorlist. ;-) The results can be found at
https://www.archlinux.de/?page=PackageStatistics It's quite rough and
needs a lot of optimization. It also just shows the overall stats.

Note, that my goal is to collect data that are actually useful to us
and not just nice to see. If you have any suggestions or ideas let me
know. I think once this is working properly we should make another
announcement to get helpful stats for a package cleanup or some
mirroring improvements.

Greetings,

Pierre