[arch-dev-public] archweb, archportal and the pkgstats page

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Sep 25 06:23:50 EDT 2010

Hi all,

this is kind of a response to
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-September/017889.html

The pkgstats page is hosted on archlinux.de for historical reasons.
That's where I started experimenting with these stats before maintaining
web stuff on .org, too. But it does not really belong there and the code
is quite ugly. My idea is to move it to a dedicated site like
pkgstats.archlinux.org. This will mainly consist of a script that
regularly creates some static html pages. Some of the calculations are
quite expensive and for the future I'd like to render some graphs for
trends and long term stats. For now I see no reason to learn
python/django for this. Looks a lot like overkill to me.

Once these is also decoupled from the archlinux.de site I'd plan to
rename it to archportal and make it a lightweight webapp for local arch
communities. It'll be translatable, configurable and should even run on
cheap shared hosting without the need of any special infrastructure. I
really like the django-based archweb, but imho it wouldn't be an ideal
base for this purpose. Most features are not needed and specific to the
arch main site. Also running this on shared hosting might be difficult.
That's why I suggest to keep those separate and have both solutinos as
simple as possible.

Greetings,

Pierre