[arch-dev-public] Mirror status page

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Sep 25 06:31:16 EDT 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:52:55 -0500, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>> * You should rethink about putting those equations into yellow boxes
>> with a bigger font size. They are not really the most important content
>> on that site.
> This really has more to do with the theme/styling on the entire side
> and less to do with this page. I honestly don't think it distracts too
> much, but if a lot of people do we should adjust the theme. It is odd
> that the <tt/> and <code/> tags don't really match up; you can see I
> used both of them.
>
> Should I just switch to <tt/> everywhere?

No idea. But I'd reduce the font size to match the one from the
surrounding text. It's not distracting, but clearly highlighted. But I
don't care that much about this...

>> * One should add to the "μ Delay" that it has an error of about an hour
>> (=frequency of your cron job). Especially those with a delay of less
>> than an hour sync hourly for real.
> I'm not sure I follow your logic- if they sync on the top of the hour,
> then we're pretty close to the "average" delay, which is halfway
> between 0-59 minutes anyway. I think it might be worth scheduling the
> cronjob in a slightly different way to not give any mirror an
> advantage. If we sync on the following schedule (13 times in 12
> hours), no one time would get the benefit:
> 0:04 0:59 1:54 2:49 3:45 4:40 5:35 6:30 7:26 8:21 9:16 10:11 11:07
>
> Sounds confusing of course, but would this make things better?

Should work. Another option would beto just round up the values to
hours.

>> * Make the mirror urls "clickable"
> I thought of this, but not sure what to click through to. We can
> easily do a mirror info page, but we can't/shouldn't show everything
> publicly.

I was more thinking about just putting an a tag around the url. :-)

>> * It would be very nice to have all this information and probably more
>> we have in the mirror db available via json. This way it can be easily
>> used by other sites or tools like reflector. See
>> https://git.archlinux.de/www.archlinux.de.git/tree/pages/MirrorStatusJSON.php
>> for a simple example.
> Sounds like a feature request. :)

Indeed.

> I think we could do this for a lot
> of the website- packages, groups, etc. I like the idea though.

A package list would be very huge. But this data is also distributed by
our mirrors with the db files. So there wont be a real need for this.
(the only thing missing from the db files is the maintainer's name;
might be worth to just distribute that)

>> * Would be nice if you could use the iso country names. E.g. its not
>> Great Britain but United Kingdom or Russian Federation instead of
>> Russia.
> We've been using these same names for ages. I can give you permission
> to go in and update things as you see fit if you'd like- the country
> is just freeform right now, there aren't choices.

So I could just update these values in the db without any side effects?

> Getting this tied to an actual country object could make GeoIP
> integration of some sort be useful later down the road.

That was my intention.