[arch-dev-public] Clearing out [testing]

Ionuț Bîru ibiru at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 28 14:54:58 EDT 2010

On 09/28/2010 09:35 PM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:25:27 +0200, Andreas Radke<a.radke at arcor.de>
> wrote:
>> A closed source driver should never hold back an OSS package. So what's
>> the state with nvidia and the new beta driver? If it won't hit the repos
>> until the end of the week I don't want to wait any longer.
>
> I agree. If it's really that driver holding xorg back it should just be
> moved. Nvidia doesn't tellanybody when they plan new releases or fix a
> bug. Last but not least I didn't notice any slowdown and there is also
> no report in our tracker about this. So it cannot be that critical.

i can't agree with you. every time somebody reported an issue with
nvidia, being even a performance regression, you personally closed it as
"we can't do anything"

i'm hit with this issue and i know a dozen. this regression makes
rendering antialised fonts in gtk 10 times slower and in kde when using
non-antialiased fonts [1]

we have to think about our users first. your statistics say that nvidia
is dominant in our community[2]

[1] http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=154563
[2] https://www.archlinux.de/?page=FunStatistics

--