[arch-dev-public] PHP: Dropping Suhosin patch and PEAR

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Aug 18 10:32:15 EDT 2011

Hi all,

The recent PHP 5.3.7 packages will be shipped without the Suhosin patch
and there also wont be a PEAR package.

While I like the suhosin project I have to assume that this is stalled
at best. There are no new releases since PHP 5.3.4 was released. I also
wasn't able to contact the author to ask about the current state. Even
though porting the patch to new minor php releases is quite easy, I
don't feel comfortable about this; doing so wont also be "the Arch way".
If anybody knows more about the current state of Suhosin, please let me
know. Note: I'll keep the Suhosin extension as long as it works though.

In addition to this I removed the php-pear package. The main problem is
that the recent version of PEAR does not support the installation to a
destination directory. There are quite a lot of bug reports about this;
some of them are very old.* I am not really interested to add any hacks
to make it working. This has to be fixed upstream once and for all;
unless they really don't want to have pear redistributed. For anybody
interested in using pear I'd suggest creating a separate PKGBUILD and
put it into AUR. The Fedora spec file might be a good start:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=php-pear.git;a=blob;f=php-pear.spec

Greetings,

Pierre

*) https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=18568