[arch-dev-public] [signoff] net-tools-1.60.20110819cvs-1 and inetutils-1.8-4

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Fri Aug 19 17:38:06 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 05:29:06PM -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following discussions between a few of us on IRC and private emails,
> we decided to remove the hostname binary from the net-tools package
> and to replace it by the one from inetutils. Unlike the hostname from
> coreutils, the inetutils hostname has all the functionnality of the
> net-tools' one. I've also added scripts which implements the behaviour
> of the  domainname and dnsdomainname symlinks that were in the
> net-tools package so everything should work as before. If not, let us
> know. I've also added inetutils to the base group as many apps expect
> hostname to be installed (I think its also a standard).
>
> The net-tools package also had other changes as followed:
>
> - update to current upstream cvs
> - remove hostname (and the symlinks to it, dnsdomain and domainname)
> as well as manpages related to it
> - changed license to gpl2
> - removed !makeflags from options (seems to work fine without it,
> except for some extra compile time warnings).
>

> Eric

Two minor nitpicks about the wrapper scripts:

1) It would probably be worthwhile to hardcode the path to the inetutils
hostname binary.
2) exec $path/hostname, in both cases, will save an extra fork in invocation.

Also, do we want to add manpage symlinks for {dns,}domainname? It's not
entirely the truth, so I'm not convinced we want this.

dave