[arch-dev-public] Git for the repos

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Wed Aug 24 16:53:55 EDT 2011

So it came up in IRC again and I'll try to sum up the discussion:

SVN checkouts tend to break, some people only use it for our repos and
not anywhere else, it's slow.

We agreed on one git repo per package because you can't do partial
checkouts in git and you hardly need the history of all packages anyway.

To keep track of released packages, dbscripts maintains it's own (git?)
meta database which contains only the package version and pacman repo of
the package. The version corresponds to a tag in the package's git repo.

We can't use tags like "testing-i686" because you can't reuse tags in git.

I'd like to hear some comments about this.

--
Florian Pritz