[arch-dev-public] Git for the repos

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 25 00:34:33 EDT 2011

On 25/08/11 10:49, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Jan de Groot<jan at jgc.homeip.net>  wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 00:15 +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>>> Thanks to everyone involved with pushing this. I can not wait to get
>>> rid of SVN. Doing anything but the most trivial operations is a huge
>>> PITA.
>>
>> IMHO the only nice features I like from git that aren't in SVN are
>> bisect and the possibility to work on a local copy without being online.
>
> That, in addition to easy branching/merging, rebasing and reverting.
> This is all possible with SVN of course, but it becomes much more
> cumbersome.
>
>> The first part is something we don't use for packaging,
>
> We don't use it because we can't. I think we should though, especially
> for the non-trivial packages (that contain lots of patches or other
> tweaks). In order for bisection to be useful, we'd need to be able to
> do smaller patches, and that's not really practical without local
> commits.

You would seriously need to bisect while packaging?  If you are applying
patches to packages, you should know exactly what they are doing, or at
least be able to have a damn good idea which patch is causing the issue
you are seeing.  I say this being the maintainer of one of the most
patched packages in our repos (glibc, I think there are only a couple of
more patched packages...).

I also see no real need for branching/merging/rebasing while packaging
either.  Doing stuff on trunk has worked fine for me and as far as I can
tell is exactly what trunk is for.

But in the end, if someone comes up with a solution using git that does
not alter my workflow much (archco/svn update; make changes;
"commitpkg"; done...), I will accept it for the primary reason that I
find SVN to be slow, or at least how we use it in devtools (especially
after recent changes).

Allan