[arch-dev-public] [RFC] the storage group

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Aug 27 18:43:29 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> I'm refactoring our support for the "storage" group, due to a recent
> bug report about it being incomplete:
> <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22337>. I thought I'd ask for some
> input.

I did a bit more digging and asking around, and it seems that my
previous suggestion, basically to make "storage" work correctly with
more devices, is not a good one.

I tried pushing the fix into udev upstream, but Kay argued against it,
and even the Debian maintainer agreed that this should probably not go
upstream.

Their reasoning (which I guess I agree with) is that giving users
access to usb sticks (among other things) causes security probems (the
user logged in over ssh can access the usb stick of the logged in
user).

Furthermore, (and this I did not know) in addition to taking care of
mounting, udisks has support for most of what fdisk does, so there
goes the main argument in favor of giving user access to these
devices.

To make a long story short; in stead of fixing the "storage" group, I
intend to remove support for it from udev, and direct people to use
udisks instead. If anyone have any objections, pleas let me know.

Cheers,

Tom