[arch-dev-public] Packages added to todo list 'Some packages put their pkgconfig (.pc) files in /usr/share/pkgconfig instead of /usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Dec 19 04:15:23 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> n randomly looking at files and directories, I
>> found /usr/share/pkgconfig
>> and though: "this ain't right"
>
> For architecture-independent packages like the ones in
> todo, /usr/share/pkgconfig is a perfectly valid place to store these
> files. It's also in the default lookup path, so there's no reason to
> rebuild all these packages.

I had a look into this. According to pkg-config man both
/usr/{share,lib}/pkgconfig seem to be equally valid. As to my package
(udev) there is no clean way to move the pkgconfig files out of share
without also moving the man pages, so I'd rather not unless there is a
good reason (in which case I'll push a patch upstream).

-t