[arch-dev-public] [HEADSUP] Minimum kernel version bump

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Dec 29 05:54:52 EST 2011

Hi guys,

The next udev release will change its kernel requirements. This will
not affect people running our standard kernel, but self-compiled
kernels might be, and the -lts kernel is affected.

The major changes are:

 * 2.6.34 is the minimum kernel requirement (our current -lts is .32).

 * devtmpfs support must be switched on; /dev can no longer be on a
tmpfs (this should only affect self-compiled kernels).

For more details see
<http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob_plain;f=README>.

I think it does not make any sense for people to hold back udev and
upgrade other packages, so once this is out I'll remove support for
non-devtmpfs kernels in initscripts too. It might possibly make sense
to re-evaluate our minimum kernel version supported in glibc, but I'll
leave that to more knowledgeable people.

Closer to the release I'll make a news item about this so everyone is aware.

Cheers,

Tom